Powered by Blogger.

Search Google



Saturday, May 24, 2008

Another View of the NAACP - My Second Take


http://content.answers.com/main/content/img/webpics/naacp.gif

Freedom is not free

OK, I’m here at the NAACP Leadership 500 Summit. I was invited to attend the summit by Kevin Myles, Branch President of the Wichita Branch of the NAACP, along with Ms. Roslyn McCallister Brock, Vice Chair of the National NAACP National Board.

As you may know, I have written previously about the NAACP being a shadow of it's past, and as a former active member of the Boston Branch of the NAACP back in the 70’s, I've not been feelin the NAACP for many a year.

Yet, I will tell you, a weekend can change even this grown man's thinking. Yes I traveled to the conference, paying for full airfare (over 5 bills) to the NAACP event. No I'm not ready to sing Kumbyya with the NAACP, but I did take out a membership, I've always had big respect for Kevin Myles, and I now have big respect for the youthful, energetic, talented, focused, and highly intelligent V. chair of the NAACP Ms. Roslyn McCallister Brock.

2006 NAACP Leadership 500

Roslyn McCallister Brock, NAACP V Chair

I had planned to LIVE blog at the event, but because of technology challenges at this meeting location (mountains blocking internet access with some conference areas) I'm not able to LIVE blog. So... for the next 5 days I plan to report on my experience here at the NAACP 500. Stay tuned here on this blog as I report on "the good, the bad, and the ugly" that I witnessed at the NAACP Leadership 500 Summit as the group of men and women from the age of 30-50 shared best practices, new ideas and fresh perspectives on how the NAACP can recruit, train, and retain a new generation of civil rights advocates to address the many critical issues impacting black and other Americans.

Stay tuned... I think you will find it interesting...

P.S. The ugly is not really ugly folks. But I will talk about challenges and opportunities that I see for the NAACP. Hopefully those that read this blog from the NAACP National office will takes some of my thoughts under consideration.


Search This Blog

Contact Your Elected Representative

African American Pundit encourages you to contact your elected officials/representatives and share your thoughts on current events and government policy. All politics is local!

Below you'll find links to e-mail and postal addresses, and phone numbers for key elected officials.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP