Powered by Blogger.

Search Google



Monday, July 27, 2009

Lessons in Racial Politics both "wise" and "stupid

By Dr. Mustafa Ansari
Chief Justice, Indigenous African American Reparations Tribunal

Last week was a lesson in racial politics. The confirmation hearings of Judge Sonia Sotomayer and the arrest of Professor Gates was a racial spectacle. It appears for one, that America is not in a post-racial era, and two, white conservatives are extremely sensitive these days. For the life of me I cannot see anything wrong with Judge Sotomayer's statement about a "wise Latina" would usually rule better than a white male, especially in the case of a person arrested in his own house for saying "What could I expect when a white woman calls about a black male.

Again for the life of me I cannot see how that is disorderly conduct, but then again I am still trying to find some fault in Reverend Wright's denunciation of America for being racist. In any case, I "stupidly" thought that Professor Gates had the 'liberty' to say this under the First Amendment.

This loose adherence to the right to expression under the First Amendment bothered me so much, I just had to look up disorderly conduct in Massachusetts.

A disorderly person is defined as one who:with purpose to cause public inconvenience, annoyance or alarm, orrecklessly creates a risk thereofengages in fighting or threatening, violent or tumultuous behavior, orcreates a hazard or physically offensive condition by any act which serves no legitimate purpose.To me, the disorderly conduct law is mischarged because Professor Gates was in home rather than in a 'Public place" causing annoyance or alarm or recklessly creating a risk of Public annoyance or inconvenience etc fighting.

This is probably why the charges were dropped and this has not been discussed in the media. I remember when I was in Law school and the professor told me that the law was both law and facts, and that if I had the law on my side argue the law, and if I had the facts on my side argue the facts.

I wonder how Judge Sotomayer would rule on the 'facts' of this case, if this case came before her.

Moreover, I wonder how Justice Scalia, Roberts, Thomas, Alito, would have ruled.
If I was a betting man I bet you they would rule "stupidly".

Dr. Mustafa Ansari Chief Justice, Indigenous African American Reparations Tribunal
Author, "Defining Change" A Reparations Guide
http://www.definingchange.us
Plebiscite and African Reconciliation Project

Search This Blog

Contact Your Elected Representative

African American Pundit encourages you to contact your elected officials/representatives and share your thoughts on current events and government policy. All politics is local!

Below you'll find links to e-mail and postal addresses, and phone numbers for key elected officials.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP